birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>, <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 00:05:08 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, February 24, 2014 to Sunday, March 2, 2014:

Area: SA

Date: Monday, February 24, 2014

Location: Black Point

Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora) (2) I have heard these birds previously at
Black Point, but this time I actually saw a pair. They were not calling, but I
was able to take a  quick photo during the few seconds we looked at each other
after I surprised them, good enough for ID purposes.

Reported by: Margaret Tiller on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Date: Monday, February 24, 2014

Location: On our Rockleigh property

Diamond Firetail (Stagonopleura guttata) (1) One firetail was hopping between
burnt and unburnt trees in the gully that used to be the best birding spot.

Elegant Parrot (Neophema elegans) (10) The bizarre weather brought over 5
inches of rain during the last 10 days, and among the dead bushes weedy grasses
are growing so rapidly that in another few weeks they will be another fire
hazard. A party of elegant parrots (uncommon on our place) were foraging in the
new grasses.

Later in the day a pair of common bronzewings (also rarely seen) were foraging
in the same grasses. A group of New Holland honeyeaters (6, uncommon) flew in
the unburnt creekline tree tops. White-browed babblers (5) were moving through
bushes near the shed, never seen that close to our buildings before.

A pair of Willie wagtails were bouncing through the dead leaves of a fallen
tree, and singing honeyeaters were using the fake tree Pete made by piling tall
branches into the hollow stump of a burnt-out tree.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Location: Goolwa

Lewin's Rail (Lewinia pectoralis) (3) emerged briefly from island seaward side
of the barrage. 1 photograph

Many sandpipers and red-kneed dotterels along low tidal shore,from the island
as far as the boat ramp.

Numerous red-necked avocets. 1 little egret, 1Aus ibis, 1 white faced heron.

On river side of barrage,20 little black cormorants, 2 purple swamp hens near
the yacht club.

Reported by: Heather Connolly on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'