birding-aus

FW: Christmas Island Unknown Heron Identification = Yellow Bittern

To: "'David Stowe'" <>, "'Mike Carter'" <>
Subject: FW: Christmas Island Unknown Heron Identification = Yellow Bittern
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:11:43 +1100
David asked an important question, and Mike provided an insightful answer.
Great stuff.

We can use this example to go from the particular to the general: Are the
features we see on an image real? Are they the product of distortions by
sun, wind, shadow etc? Are they due to the processing mechanisms? We ID a
bird based on its location at our own peril.

Carl Weber
An Appreciative member of the Birding-Aus Audience.