birding-aus

FW: Christmas Island Unknown Heron Identification

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: Christmas Island Unknown Heron Identification
From: brendon levot <>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:02:05 +1100

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:00:52 +1100

Hello everyone,

First of all thankyou for the overwhelming response, secondly sorry for my lack
of involvement in the thread as I have been computer less until now.

I have posted another picture

link here: http://www.wildsideaustralia.com.au/unknown-birdy-image-2/

sorry about the poor quality, these are the only 2 images.

Some parks rangers who saw the bird who are not birders identified the bird as
a juvenile Chinese Pond Heron using a field guide and based the ID on size.

I hope this helps out a little.

The facebook discussion was very helpful in identifying the bird as most people
tended to side with Juv Striated Heron perhaps a sub spp of sorts, however I
decided to post to birding aus as per request from some birders for further
opinion.

and also, yes interestingly a Cinnamon Bittern is currently in care being
treated for dehydration and exhaustion, it is soon to be released.

a link to the Cinnamon Bittern can be found here:
http://www.wildsideaustralia.com.au/seldom-seen-the-cinnamon-bittern/

Thankyou all,

Best,

Brendon Levot.