birding-aus

Vortex Spotting Scope

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Vortex Spotting Scope
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 07:54:42 +1000
I decided recently to retire my ancient Kowa spotting scope and Slik tripod
and spent some time examining options for new equipment. In the end I
determined that it wasn't necessary to go the whole hog and spend top money
on the premier brands (as I did with binoculars). I purchased a Vortex Razor
60x85 scope and a Manfrotto 055XB tripod. I'm most impressed with the
scope's clarity and utility, and the tripod is sturdy and easy to use.

With the Australian dollar at its present level, I found that there wasn't
much point in buying the scope overseas so I purchased it through Oz
Binoculars in Melbourne. However, the tripod was considerably cheaper
through several overseas outlets; I ended up purchasing it from an agent in
Israel.

Thanks to those on birding-aus who offered advice, especially Ray Pearson
and Ed Williams.

I retain a small Niko scope and light tripod for travelling overseas.

Greg Roberts