birding-aus

Hello Birdy

To: Debbielustig123 <>, <>
Subject: Hello Birdy
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 07:14:52 +0930
Hi Debbie

Leighton de Barros' documentaries are outstanding, and I recommend them to
all.  His one on the whales off WA and the rangers who attempted to cut them
free of nets was another.  Apart from his wonderful cinematography he
doesn't pull any punches resulting in the presentation of a wider
perspective than that of many such productions.

A few years ago my family and I worked with Leighton and the Prospero crew
in Arnhem Land on an episode of Australian Wildlife Rescue.  He had us in
fits with his tales about the crew of Big Cat Diary; and then there was an
episode with a recalcitrant pandanus fruit - I can't recall it making the
final cut but again we were in stitches.

The full measure of the man came when I was trying to catch bait in the
Goomadeer River - we needed the little fish to procure a file snake.  My net
snagged on a log just metres away from a hole that a large crocodile called
home.  I called for someone on the bank to stand behind me as I bent to free
the net.  The only one not to find something absorbing on the horizon to
suddenly attract their attention was Leighton.  Immediately he was in the
river behind me.  A great bloke, and a fantastic maker of documentaries.

Denise
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 71,  Darwin River,
NT 0841
043 8650 835

On 27/1/14 9:40 PM, "Debbielustig123" <> wrote:

> As mentioned earlier, an ABC series called 'Hello Birdy' will go to air this
> Sunday evening. It's a lighthearted look at  birdwatching presented by William
> McInnes, of 'Seachange' et al. The first episode includes a long sequence
> about the OBP.  I for one am really looking forward to it. This piece was
> filmed last summer and features Mark Holdsworth, who was a Tasmanian nominee
> for Australian of the Year for his outstanding work in conservation.

This