birding-aus

Trip to Sydney and Crystal Creek

To: "" <>
Subject: Trip to Sydney and Crystal Creek
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:41:05 +1100
Just back from a family trip to see family (both mine and my wife's) in Sydney,
Crsytal Creek (near Murwillumbah in northern NSW) and Brisbane (one overnight
including a trip to the museum with kids). As usual birdwatching was scattered
amongst family activities, though did get a day with Gold Coast Bird Group with
Dad and one morning where he and I drove to a couple of spots without kids.
Otherwise time was just spent walking either in the local National Park or
along the roads at my parent's house. Itinerary is at the end (who knows what
will happen to the formatting) and highlights included.

Black-necked Stork - a pair on the roadside swamps near Cowper (north of
Grafton)
Spotted Harrier - single bird over cane fileds near Murwillumbah was unexpected
Buff-banded Rail - good view of a bird at Irrawong Reserve
Brolga - a pair in a paddock about 500 metres south of Broadwater
Red-necked Avocet - a good-sized flock roosting with pelicans on the Terranora
Broadwater (apparently a regular roost but not a species I expect on the north
coast)
Comb-crested Jacana - a single bird present on the three days I went past at an
artificial wetland at Crystal Creek (my first record at this location) - a
single Latham's Snipe was also present on the last visit, standing out on the
open bank.
Wandering Tattler - a single bird at Hasting's Point
White-headed Pigeon - for once very common at Crystal Creek - seen or heard
every day
Rose-crowned Fruit-dove - single bird seen at Crystal Creek, my second record
here
Eastern/Pale-headed Rosellas - all the rosellas at my parent's appear to be
hybrids, though one appeared as a strong Pale-head (the rest are scrappy
Easterns with very lime green rumps) - I wonder again if they will be lumped
Powerful Owl - heard on three mornings (including a pair the first time) at
Pennant Hills
Swifts most days with Fork-tailed at Clunes and Dooragan NP (a separate e-mail
sent with details to Mike Tarburton)
Collared Kingfisher and Mangrove Honeyeater at Terranora Broadwater
Paradise Riflebird at Mebbin NP (a common species there but still nice to see)
Barred Cuckoo-shrike - 3 birds in the garden at Mum and Dad's place - the first
time recorded there and only the second sighting I have made in NSW.
Green Catcbird - great views of a bird at the carpark at Natural Arch
Russet-tailed Thrush - assumed to be this species (based on altitude and a
brief call) at the Rainforest Loop walk at Dooragan NP (North Brother mountain)

All up 198 species recorded which I was happy with (was on the lookout for
White-plumed Honeyeater and Common Blackbird while driving into Albury
yesterday afternoon to try and reach 200.

I haven't attached a species list, but can provide an excel spreadsheet for
anyone that is interested.
Cheers,
Peter

Day  Date      Locations

1      11/1       Albury - Jugiong - Mittagong - Pennant
Hills

2      12/1       Pennant Hills - Lane Cove NP - Sydney CBD
- Pennant Hills

3      13/1       Pennant Hills - Narrabeen - Warriewood
Wetlands - Pennant Hills

4      14/1       Pennant Hills - Pearl Beach - Taree

5      15/1       Taree - Macksville - Ballina - Crystal
Creek

6      16/1       Crystal Creek - Logan (GCBC) - Crystal
Creek

7      17/1       Crystal Creek - South Tweed Heads -
Crystal Creek

8      18/1       Crystal Creek - Brisbane - McDowall

9      19/1       McDowall - Springbrook NP - Crystal Creek

10    20/1       Crystal Creek - Hastings Point - Crystal
Creek

11    21/1       Crystal Creek - Coolangatta - Fingal Head
- Crystal Creek

12    22/1       Crystal Creek - Mebbin NP - Byron STP -
Brunswick Heads - Crystal Creek

13    23/1       Crystal Creek - Woodburn - Nambucca Heads
- North Haven

14    24/1       North Haven - Dooragan NP - Karuah -
Pennant Hills  - Sydney CBD - Pennant
Hills

15    25/1       Pennant Hills - Lane Cove NP - Crossland
Reserve - Pennant Hills

16    26/1       Pennant Hills - Goulburn - Tarcutta -
Albury