birding-aus

RFI: artificial watering points & impacts on birds

Subject: RFI: artificial watering points & impacts on birds
From: David Clark <>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:38:54 +1100
Martin

I'm not sure that dams were removed at Ned's Corner.  The property is/was
watered from the Murray and I think it was more a matter of decommissioning
water troughs.

You may be aware that huge sums of money are being spent to provide
environmental flows on Walpolla, Mulcra and Lindsay Islands and to Lake
Walla Walla.  The flooding of Lake Walla Walla (now dry) after decades as a
dry lake has resulted in large numbers of Black-tailed Native-hens; a
species I haven't seen before in that area.  While the flooding is
attempting to replicate natural water flows, it is very much an artificial
regime and may qualify as man-made watering points.

As Laurie has pointed out, the rationale for closing the water points is
one of the control measures for feral animals and kangaroos.

Cheers

David