birding-aus

RFI: Some Tassie species

To: John Graff <>
Subject: RFI: Some Tassie species
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 06:13:02 +1100
Hi John,

40 Spotted can be seen at PM, but best chance is Bruny Island.  There's a
ferry that takes cars so you can have a day trip.

Strong-billed HE is a hard one to find a regular place to look for.  Around
Snug Tiers is your most likely location.  Otherwise it's mainly just luck.
 I've seen them at most wooded sites around Hobart.

Morepork is another tricky one.  I've heard them calling on Maria Island
and they've been reported a lot around Fern Tree and the base of the
mountain, but we spent a night looking a few weeks ago and got nothing.

Swift Parrots have been very recently at Peter Murrell reserve. Taroona had
some sightings at the start of the season too, but I don't know if they're
still there.  Bruny Island is usually the best bet, especially around
Adventure Bay.

Musk Lorikeet - probably a sure thing at Sandown Park in Lower Sandy Bay.
 The big Blue Gum between the two sporting fields is usually full of them
(Swift Parrots are occasionally seen here too).  Also pretty reliable in
the trees around the car park at Gould's Lagoon.

Blue-winged Parrot - Shag Bay Heritage Trail on the Eastern Shore is
probably the most reliable site.

Masked Owl - Have become a sure thing at Port Arthur, as there is an old
Euc down near the shore and the Commondant's Cottage that a pair nests in.
 They only come out an hour or so after sunset.

Olive Whistler - Up Mount Wellington is probably best, but below the tree
line.

Satin Flycatcher - Waterworks Reserve has been my most successful site - At
the top (southern) end where the creek runs into the top reservoir.  I
haven't looked for them this year yet though.  Around Mt Nelson is also
pretty good.

Flame Robin - Down South Arm past Lauderdale has been pretty good -
especially around the lagoons there.  Clear Lagoon might be easiest, which
I don't think is marked on Google Maps, but you can see it just off Forest
Hill Rd.

European Greenfinch - I see them most often at Gould's Lagoon.

I should add, I think you can see all these species at Bruny Island,
although for most I'm not sure exactly where (but I imagine Eremaea may
have better details), so having a day there might be the best bet, rather
than driving all around Hobart.  You could probably stop in a few of the
other places too though.

Jeremy