birding-aus

Searching for Koels

To: <>
Subject: Searching for Koels
From: Virginia Abernathy <>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 20:29:33 +1100
Dear fellow birders,

I am a new PhD student studying the Pacific Koel under Naomi Langmore at the Australian National University. I am mainly focusing on the hosts of the koel (the Red Wattlebird, the Noisy Friarbird, and the Magpie-lark), but I am also interested in finding parasitised nests, if possible. This past field season I have been stationed in Canberra and have been performing egg recognition experiments on the above hosts. For my next field season I plan to come to the Sydney area and repeat these experiments on the same hosts. I am trying to figure out a good field site to focus on (preferably a national park or something similar) where I can find most of these hosts and the koel. Does anyone know of a good location/s where koels and wattlebirds are found together?

Cheers,
Virginia