birding-aus

Brown Songlarks missing in sw Victoria

To: "" <>
Subject: Brown Songlarks missing in sw Victoria
From: Kev Lobotomi <>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:48:13 +1100
Hi Steve
Believe it or not Brown Songlarks are around, perhaps not in SW Vic so much. I
recently came back from a trip to the Gawler Ranges in South Australia & I
found them numerous, they were mixed in with little feeding flocks of pipits &
Orange Chats. The thing is I never heard a peep out of them, and they are much
harder to see if they are silent. I've always found the songlarks a bit up &
down in terms of there presence in the Summer. Sometimes they are very common &
sometimes absent, they are truly a bird that depends on conditions. I think
we've been lucky over the last few years, both songlarks have been rather
common, but Browns a bit harder to see this year & Rufous are around, but a
little more patchy perhaps? Pallid Cuckoo is another that varies enormously in
numbers every season. Often PCs are quite common, but some years hard to find.
PCs are rather thin on the ground this year.-Kevin Bartram