birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 18 Nov 2013 03:02:56 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Nov 2013.

Sun 17 Nov Spotted Harrier Near Lake Lorne, Drysdale
Spotted Harrier (1) Nearby (c. 1.5km) at corner of Grubb and Belchers Road. Adult. Superb views. Flew low beside road then across farmland towards Lake Lorne.
Russell Woodford

Freckled Duck Dam adjacent to Balbirooroo Wetland, Balnarring
3 Freckled Duck
Brian Thomas

Swift Parrot, Ocean Grove, east end of Woodlands Drive.
First heard calling at 0915 then seen flying between the trees for at least the next half hour.. Possibly the same bird recorded by Dennis Sleep not far from Woodlands, on 1/11/13.
Tom Fletcher

Sat 16 Nov Powerful Owl & offspring? Blue Tongue Bend Track Warrandyte
I was surprised to see the bird only 4mts? above ground, in a native cherry. In between the branches as they meet the trunk, you might discern a (presumably) a fledgling, roughly 60% the size of the pictured bird. Sorry only an Iphone image! Located at a slight bend, north side of track, about half way down from top of the ridge to the river edge.
Jim Lord

Glossy Ibis Fishers Wetland Phillip Island
The Glossy Ibis are still at Fishers Wetland . Three of us saw 18 today. A local told me the birds have been there for about a month and 30 were sighted one day.
Geoff Russell, Robert Wright & Roger Needham

Scarlet Honeyeater, Crescent Honeyeater Baluk Willam Nature Conservation Reserve
Quite a few Scarlet Honeyeaters near the Southern carpark with more calling from nearby gullies in farmland and the north of Lysterfield Park. Crescent Honeyeater and nesting Satin Flycatcher and Scared Kingfisher of interest this close to SE Suburbs.
Tim Bawden

Fri 15 Nov Short-tailed Shearwater Barham River estuary, Apollo Bay
At least 40 Short-tailed Shearwaters scattered along 1 km of beach and 1 Little Penguin also beach wrecked. At least one Rufous Bristlebird calling strongly behind caravan, able to get some nice views and pics.
Philip Peel

Black-eared Cuckoo Rise and Shine Bushland Reserve, Clydesdale
Black-eared Cuckoo (1) Amazed to see one in bush north-west of the clearing near intersection of Zumpies Road and Drury/Milne Lane. Nice views, sometimes calling and photographed as well.
Owen Lishmund

Thu 14 Nov White-breasted Woodswallow Seymour River Walk
Three calling, flying and roosting in tall tree. Downriver section of walk from Bolton St. to the mouth of Whiteheads Creek.
Val La May

Thu 14 Nov Orange Chat Lake Tyrrell
Orange Chat (2) M&F. On the left, 200m along the left hand track from the 'parking area'
Terry Gourley

Wed 13 Nov Australian Koel Flora Hill, Beebe Street
Calling loudly from the large Blue Gum behind our house this evening. Have been hearing calls along back creek adjacent to Rowcliffe Street Quarry Hill which is just down the road and consistent with earlier reports from other observers. Last week, whilst driving past the Queens Arms Hotel mid morning I heard it en route to Golden Square and about two hours later a call was heard near Pallet street Golden Square. Same bird maybe?
Adrian Martins

Tue 12 Nov Black-tailed Native-hen Mill Park Lakes
Black-tailed Native-hen breeding ( 1 medium size downy chick).. few breeding records in southern Victoria. No sign of Freckled Duck which have been here for some time.
Andrew Corrick

Tue 12 Nov Osprey Phillip Island Cemetery Phillip Island Victoria
When we drove in I am sure there were 2 but I only got a photo of 1 though.
Diana van Eck

Short tailed Shearwater Point Cook
25+ dead Shearwaters on the beach. From the Point to the Homestead.
Raoul Symons

Eastern x Crimson Rosella hybrid Bendigo [Our backyard]
Photo shows 3 of 6 chicks from an Eastern and Crimson Rosella pair in birdbox in our backyard.
John & Margaret McInerney

Mon 11 Nov Short-tailed Shearwaters Lorne Beach
About 200 shearwaters dead and dying on the beach at Lorne - a number also chasing the bait on fishing lines at the pier. At least 20 birds caught and released by the fishermen while I was there.
Alison Dredge

Latham's Snipe Lake Colac Bird Sanctuary
28+ Snipe sighted feeding in Sedges at edge of swamp near car park.
Corrie & Ian Macartney

Dead birds St Kilda
West Beach to Langridge Street groyne. 41 dead Short-tailed Shearwaters as per recent 'wreck'. Also 1 dead Little Pied Cormorant, 1 dead young Silver Gull and unidentified dead chick found near rocks at end of pier. Anything breeding near St Kilda Pier seems noteworthy.
Debbie Lustig

Short-tailed shearwater Geelong Grammar School Corio
Quite a few flying up and down the shoreline in front of the Grammar School. Some flying so close to the edge their wings were almost touching the shell grit. Quite an extraordinary sight! A further search revealed many sitting on the water 10 metres from the shoreline all around the North Shore esplanade and inner Corio Bay.
Hedley Earl

Short-tailed Shearwater North Geelong. Industrial Area
Seen flying over our work place 08:15 today, about 1 km from Corio Bay. Yesterday my daughter told me several dozen STSWs were washed up on the beach at Barwon Heads.
Rodney Long

Sun 10 Nov Common Sandpiper, Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Single bird at Conservation Pond 35E.
Mark Stanley & Annette Hatten

Black-eared Cuckoo, Redthroat, Gilbert's Whistler, Southern Scrub Robin Wyperfeld National Park
All seen well on Discovery Walk. Also 20+ Regent Parrot seen well at close range at Lake Brambuk. Many Splendid Fairy Wren in speccy breeding plumage. Surprisingly very few honeyeaters.
Greg Oakley, Tom Evans, Mark Landmann

Common Diving Petrel? Ricketts Point, Beaumaris
Single bird approximately 20 cm long washed up on the beach near the Tea House
John Eichler

Sat 9 Nov Great Crested Grebe, Cattle Egret, Latham's Snipe, Caspian Tern Colac Botanic Gardens, Colac 1' Cell
On the way to work stopped in for a look at the bird sanctuary and the lake from boat ramp to the sanctuary to Clark St. Happy to see a few Latham's snipe back again. Great Crested Grebe (5) mouth of barongarook creek. Cattle Egret sanctuary. Latham's Snipe (3) on the grass South side of bird sanctuary Caspian Tern (1) above Barongarook Creek mouth.
Adam Fry

Fri 8 Nov Pied Honeyeater Neds Corner Station
One juvenile and one immature bird in separate locations on property. Small groups of up to 20 Crimson Chats also observed at multiple locations.
Doug Robinson

Sat 2 Nov Australian Koel Plenty on Melbourne outskirts
Not actually seen just heard for several days around my home, unknown bird type until contacted a bird enthusiast who told me what type of bird it was. Assume it had moved so far south due to bush fires???
Rachelle Ferrier

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.