birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 11 Nov 2013 03:02:18 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 10 Nov 2013.

Sun 10 Nov Short-tailed Shearwater Port Melbourne
After hearing about the plight of the STSW, I ventured out today to take a look myself. An extremely sad sight with hundreds and hundreds of dead birds on the shores of our bay. Many hundreds still flying about just off shore as well as many wading close to shore, probably awaiting death. One has to see it to believe it! Such a waste!
Bernie OKeefe

Short-tailed Shearwater, Glossy Ibis, Pacific Golden-Plover, Arctic Jaeger, Brown Songlark Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Short-tailed Shearwater (5) Very weird to find 1 on the conservation ponds, saw in flight and then landed on the water, allowing us to get too within 5 metres from it.others seen very close to land. Glossy Ibis (9) t section pond 4 Pacific Golden-Plover (2) KIrk Point Arctic Jaeger (1) seen chasing silver gull at kirk point Brown Songlark (2) one on road to ryans swamp, one near borrow pits
Philip Peel

Black Honeyeater Chiltern
An amazing number of 11 Black Honeyeaters seen in some small flowering Yellow Box near Chiltern Valley No.1 Dam. Definitely an irruption happening in NE Victoria at present, this is the third record this week!
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Blue faced Honeyeater Banyule Flats Reserve
One next to the track on the western side being harassed by Noisy Miners
Ross potter

Sat 9 Nov Painted Honeyeater Chiltern
Two Painted Honeyeaters close to Chiltern township, demonstrating breeding behaviour.
Philip Maher

Short-tailed Shearwater St Kilda and Elwood
Following up from my last report on the 3rd the steady stream of Short-tailed Shearwaters washing up on City of Port Phillip beaches has continued and even increased. Yesterday there were at least 250 live shearwaters flying and sitting off Elwood and St Kilda and probably double that number dead along the beaches.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Sandpiper, Ruddy Turnstone & Brolga Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Six PGP's roosting in vegetation behind Kirk Point, eleven Marsh Sandpipers in Summer Pond 2 and two more in 270S Borrow Pit, three Ruddy Turnstone on the 280 South Road and single Brolga in herbfield at southern end of Point Wilson Road.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Arctic Jaeger & Black-faced Cormorant Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
3 Arctic Jaegers harassing Silver Gulls off 15E Outlet. Single Black-faced Cormorant on the Outlet.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Scarlet Honeyeater Bunyip State Park
A number of Scarlet Honeyeaters were seen and heard around Bunyip State Park this afternoon.One pair gave close up views onTynong North Rd, about 100 metres up from the Cornucopia Living Heritage Centre heading towards the park, just where the road crosses the creek.
Bernie OKeefe

Short-tailed Shearwater Nepean Highway, Brighton East
One flying quite strongly over the highway just near junction of Centre Road, over 2 km inland from nearest point on coast. Clearly part of the wreck that was reported elsewhere in places such as St Kilda Beach.
Sean Dooley

Powerful Owl Wilson's reserve, Ivanhoe.
Spotted 2 adults and baby at around 11am today. One adult holding a possum. A closer look showed that this adult had its left eye clouded over. Could it have lost / be losing vision in that eye?
R. Brockett

Brush Cuckoo Gum Flat, Anglesea Heath
Brush cuckoo calling from messmate stringybark forest at Gum Flat. Unusual spring visitor for Otways region.
John Newman

Powerful Owl Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe
Powerful Owl (3) Saw the two parents and the baby down near the Yarra near previously reported sight. High up in the canopy.
Vincent Knowles

Black Honeyeater Wahgunyah
A male seen well foraging in a flowering Eucalyptus macrandra by the rail trail adjacent to the Uncle Toby's factory. This is the second record of this species locally within the last week. Perhaps an irruption is starting to occur. Well out of expected range here.
Michael Ramsey

Eurasian Tree Sparrows (8) Large residential block in Hoppers Crossing, 3029
Eurasian Tree Sparrows (8+/- variable), have been resident in my yard for some years and outnumber the House Sparrows. A pair of Tawny Frogmouth have again raised two fledglings in my rear yard for the third consecutive year. They have nested one month earlier (1-2 Sept), than previous two years. They are now perched as a family group away from the nest site which is always the same location. It is enjoyable to see them develop.
Peter Gibbons

Fri 8 Nov Glossy Ibis Fishers Wetlands Phillip Island
20 Glossy Ibis
Gary Matthews

Whiskered Tern Yarrawonga Weir
A small flock of 8 birds seen in flight over the weir before heading south in the evening. A rare bird locally, not recorded around this area for several years.
Michael Ramsey

Eastern Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Observed in Moreton Bay fig beside Herbarium at 8.10am. Calling loudly.
Joy Tansey

Thu 7 Nov Dollarbird Everard Park Picnic Area, Healesville
A big surprise this far south. Perching prominently atop snaps occasionally calling and taking flight. When in flight beautiful Silver Dollar patches on underwings visible. Several photos taken.
Tim Nickholds

Thu 7 Nov Common Sandpiper Rigby Wetlands City of Knox
A pair near many Red-kneed Dotterels
Stephen & Tony Bushell

Cape Barren Goose Grayden's Road Hastings
Three birds seen in paddocks along southern side of road between Frankston Flinders Road ( formerly Watts Road) and Boes Road.
S and S King

Freckled Duck Macleod Morass, Bairnsdale
30 birds seen from the bird hide.
Garry Cheers and Josephine MacHunter

Short-tailed Shearwater Middle Park Beach
Dozens of shearwaters flying east along the beach, one even over Beaconsfield Parade at 7 pm this evening.
Mark Stanley

Black Honeyeater Wilby
A female bird seen in a flowering bottlebrush in the back garden and later chased off by a White-plumed Honeyeater. Plenty of flowering shrubs such as bottlebrush and Eremophila for this species to feed off in the garden at present.
Michael Ramsey

Austrailan Koel Hawthorn/Kew
I heard a Koel calling this morning from the bush along the yarra near barkers road bridge. There was one there 3 years ago. Called every night and morning for months.
Tony Lloyd

Wed 6 Nov Red-necked Avocet Yan Yean Reservoir
Red-necked Avocet 4 birds spent more than 2 hours flying low over the lake. Up, down around and back again! New for site.
Andrew Corrick

Wed 6 Nov Freckled Duck Lake Guyatt, Sale
Six birds sighted on rear lake
Kerryn Ryan

Grey-tailed Tattler Reef Island
Low tide. Grey-tailed Tattler (1) On the point with Golden Plovers and Ruddy Turnstones
Angus Hartshorn

Masked Woodswallow, White-browed Woodswallow Huntingdale
To add to the many recent reports. 100s of White-browed with the odd Masked Woodswallow travelling north this evening. The most exciting birding event in Huntingdale ever!
Tim Bawden

Australian Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Australian Koel (1) The male Koel was observed calling from an exposed upper branch of a Moreton Bay Fig near the Herbarium in the afternoon.
Lewis Hiller

Tue 5 Nov Superb Parrots Picola North
1 group of 4 birds on roadside, feeding on grass on the verge of a road north of Picola. All photographed: two males, one female, and one immature. No leg bands visible. The other group of about 6 was flying nearby in the Barmah forest.
Lyn & Peter Hawkins

Scarlet Honeyeater Gobur Flora Reserve
Pair feeding mainly in flowering mistletoe interspersed with chasing around treetops and calling regularly.
David Wakefield and Laurie Macmillan

Ruff, Pectoral Sandpiper & Latham's Snipe Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Ruff (grey-green legged male) and Latham's Snipe in 270S Conservation Pond. Pectoral Sandpiper adjacent to old 85W "B" lagoon (south of 25W through gate which we recall is marked 78B on south side of Moonahs)
John Barkla & Alison Street

Australian Koel Mitchell Port Road Bairnsdale
Male calling from vegetationon north-side of Mitchell River.
Garry Cheers and Josephine MacHunter

Australian Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Calling loudly at about 2pm near the Herbarium, possibly from the nearby large Moreton Bay Fig tree.
Val La May

White-browed Woodswallow Syndal (Glen Waverley)
Loose flock of at least fifteen passed overhead around 5:30 this afternoon, chirping and apparently foraging, visible as specks to naked eye but identifiable through 10X binoculars. All birds seen were White-browed but there may have been others. First woodswallows I've seen here or any species since we moved here in 1996.
Jack Krohn

Sanderling Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Single bird on beach east of Little River. Pec Sand in Borrow Pits, Glossy Ibis in T Section. Very few ducks around
Dave Torr and Werribee Birding Group

Scarlet Honeyeater Porepunkah
In our backyard along Ovens River in main town area. Scarlet Honeyeater (1) Good views for 10 minutes or more. In a flowering callistemon.
Linda Hayes

Mon 4 Nov Rufous Fieldwren Mali Dunes, Yanac
Two Rufous Fieldwrens seen foraging under low flowering shrubs at Mali Dunes, a private property just over 40 km north west of Nhill. Also seen were two Malleefowl, one tending to its mound and a White-fronted Honeyeater.
Andrew McCutcheon

Powerful owl Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe
Thanks to the reports and photos posted here, my wife and I were able to eventually find mum and bub at around 7pm today near the river.
Reza Mohammed

Common Sandpiper Tambo River south of the bridge on Collins Road Mt Elizabeth Turn off
Single bird feeding along rocky edge of the Tambo River Present AM not sighted on return late PM.
Garry Cheers and Josephine MacHunter

Sun 3 Nov Short-tailed Shearwater City of Port Phillip
There has been a steady stream of Short-tailed Shearwaters washing up on local beaches over the last week. I counted 64 beach cast shearwaters on Elwood Beach and apparently well over 100 were collected on Middle Park beach by the beach cleaning tractor last week. Similar numbers are washing up and being removed each day. On 3 occasions including today there have also been around 15 live birds sitting and flying just offshore from Elwood.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Latham's Snipe Lake Colac / Colac Botanic Gardens, Colac 1' Cell
Just a quick visit to the lake this evening and surprised to spot a dozen Latham's snipe at the bird sanctuary also saw 1 Caspian Tern fishing near mouth of barongarook creek. Latham's Snipe (12) on the grass at the south side of bird sanctuary.
Adam Fry

Fri 1 Nov Freckled Duck Macleod Morass
One bird sighted
Kerryn Ryan

Thu 31 Oct Scarlet Honeyeater Karinya, Glenrowan Moyhu Road, Victoria
Confident report from my daughter-in law, feeding in a Grevillea, verified by photo. Location is 36° 28' 30" 146° 13' 54" My details below.
Ken Hancock

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.