birding-aus

Wyperfeld NP, Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wyperfeld NP, Vic
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 16:30:27 +1100
Hi all,

As most people do these days we extended the Melbourne Cup weekend and had
5 days at Wyperfeld with a 1 day side trip out to Goshen and Lake Tuchewop.

The eremophila is almost finished flowering at Goshen so there weren't too
many honeyeaters around but we did find White-winged Fairy-wren and Orange
Chat at Lake Tuchewop.

Our target for the weekend was to get Redthroat on our Vic lists and after
a few walks we finally found out how to find them, by looking in the taller
teatrees along the edge of the grassy swales. There were good numbers of
Regent Honeyeaters out at Lake Brambuk and we found a pair of Chestnut
Quail-thrush on the Malleefowl walk.

We ended our stay at Wyperfeld with a good list of all the expected species
and a few special ones including Chestnut Quail-thrush, Splendid
Fairy-wren, Hobby, Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo, Inland Thornbill, Brown
Songlark, Hooded Robin, Gilbert’s Whistler, Regent Parrot and Redthroat and
Long-billed Corella. We missed seeing a Malleefowl that was seen on the
Malleefowl walk and what did surprise us was we did not see any emus
anywhere.

A Barn Owl was seen briefly and heard on two nights and Boobook were seen
and heard calling around the camp each night.

On the drive back to Melbourne the "how to make things happen" list again
proved its infallibility. When we stopped for lunch we watched a pair of
Weebills copulating on a branch and then doing an amazing courtship flight
where they faced each other and, while flapping manically like humming
birds, rose vertically for about 2 metres before breaking off in a game of
chasey around the branches. Then 4 Black-tailed Native-hens swam out in
line-astern from the shore and headed for a small island, tales and heads
erect, looking in the distance like small, black Pushmi-pullyus. My camera
was in the car! Sigh!

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/