birding-aus

Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update
Date: 14 Oct 2013 03:01:24 +1000

Birdline Northern Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Oct 2013.

Sun 13 Oct Sarus Crane Yellow Water, Kakadu National Park
Pic of Sarus Cranes at Yellow Water. They looked comfortable, although a bit more wary than Brolgas. I had seen them the day prior on opposite bank and they flew quite a distance away. The fact that they have returned to approximately the sane area (Mike Jarvis first saw them around here), suggests that they may stay awhile. They have been seen on the plains, waterside at the junction of the Yellow Water Billabong and the South Alligator River Billabong. boat needed
Mick Jerram

Streaked Shearwater Buffalo Creek Darwin
Streaked Shearwater found on the sand flats resting, looked very tired as he allowed me to walk right up to him. Flew off and was harassed by the local black kites.
Laurie Ross

Sarus Crane Yellow Water, Kakadu National Park
2 Sarus Cranes on Eastern bank at 5:00PM at junction on Eastern bank. Both flew off to west. Both seen again on aim 100m from junction Western side at 8;00AM this morning
Mick Jerram with Phil Abram and Rod Child

Fri 11 Oct Sarus Crane Yellow Water, Kakadu National Park
Saw two Sarus Cranes on the Yellow Waters Cruise yesterday. Also sustained views of a Great-billed Heron and Black Bittern. Seen on Western bank just after junction of Yellow Water and South Alligator River. Photos were taken.
Mike Jarvis

Mon 30 Sep Gouldian Finch; Hooded Parrot; Pacific Baza; Red Goshawk Fountainhead/Hayes Creek
40+ Gouldian Finches, mostly immature birds, were seen apparently drinking dew in a creek bed. This is at a site where Bruce Richardson and I had previously reported a male Gouldian Finch and a Peaceful Dove preening each other. A male Hooded Parrot then flew into the creekbed. In nearby gallery forest we spotted a Pacific Baza. While we were watching that bird a Red Goshawk flew into sight - it was being attacked by a feisty Brown Goshawk. We watched this battle for several seconds.
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow, Suzanne Farrington, Jeff Brooks

Mon 23 Sep Grey Falcon Tobermorey Station (Homestead)
Grey Falcon (1) Seen clearly as it flew past at 16:15, banked, and then continued on. Light grey above and below, yellow legs, flat wings like a goshawk, dark wing tips under wing.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

Partridge Pigeon Darwin River
17 Partridge Pigeons observed by myself and Canadian birders leaving my property and crossing the road. They took photos which I've not received yet. The attached photo is of two birds bathing under the sprinkler on our lawn.
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow

Birdline Northern Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birds.