birding-aus

DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found

To: <>, <>
Subject: DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found
From: Debbie Lustig <>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:32:32 +1000
Clive, if funding for threatened species was given for the least numerous,
Orange-bellied Parrot funding would flow like rivers in flood. Alas, it's
inconsistent and tenuous; eg a recent application for a Commonwealth Caring
for our Country grant for winter survey coordination was unsuccessful.

My guess is that funding is currently attached to species with good chances
of recovery. At fewer than 50 in the wild, the OBP has pretty poor chances
of that, yet, incredibly, it continues to defy the odds. Long may it do so.