birding-aus

DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found

To: "colin trainor" <>, <>
Subject: DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found
From: "Ross Macfarlane \(TPG\)" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:48:08 +1000
Colin, it's actually very feasible, in fact highly important DNA has been extracted from early human fossils that are 100s or thousands of years old, that has been used to build a picture of human evolution. DNA extracted from frozen mammoth carcases in Siberia have led to some researchers to propose reviving mammoth as a species (I truly hope this does not happen, but that's not a discussion for here.) The same has been proposed for thylacines using DNA extracted from preserved joeys in museums.

In other words recovery of DNA from museum specimens is well-established science. It doesn't need to be a complete genome, just enough long fragments to distinguish night parrot from its closest relatives (presumably ground parrot and western ground parrot.)

Also distinguishing between human and parrot DNA would be a very simple exercise - much more so than for ancient humans as described above. Basically the scientists can look at a series of bands on a screen and see which ones are human and which non-human, almost as easily as they could distinguish a human and a bird footprint.

-----Original Message----- From: colin trainor