birding-aus

Long-lost Night Parrot (Chronicle, Adelaide 30 Jul 1931)

To: "" <>
Subject: Long-lost Night Parrot (Chronicle, Adelaide 30 Jul 1931)
From: colin trainor <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:04:52 +0930
  Long-lost  Night  Parrot

  Bushman  Sheds  Fresh  Light  On  Mystery.

   ......on  the  habits  and  haunts  of  the  rare  and  priceless  -  night
parrot  of  Australia  will  command  the  attention  of  ornithologists Mr J.
Neil  McGilp  told  of  a  chat  he  had  concerning  this  quaint  bird  with
Mr.  John  McDonald,  a  septuagenarian  bushman  in  the  far  north  interior
 of  South  Australia, DURING  a  trip  into  the  interior  of  this  State,
I  made  numerous  enquiries  about  the  long-lost  Night  Parrot,  Mr.
McGilp  said  It  was  not  until  I  reached  Macumba  Station,  north-east
of  Oodhadatta,  that  I  had  the  good  fortune  to  get  into  touch  with
anyone  who  satisfied  me  that  he  knew  the  Night  Parrot.

At  this  station  I  had  a  long  and  interesting  chat  with  Mr.  John
McDonald,  and  from  him  secured  valuable  information.  Mr.  McDonald  knew
 the  Night  Parrot  as  being  fairly  numerous  in  the  late  'seventies
and  early  'eighties,  when  Jiving  on  Cootanoorina  Station,  south  east
of  Oodnadatta.  At  one  time  he  had  four  young  ones  in  an  aviary.
The  young  he  described  as  being  a  greyish  green  color,  with  a  black
 spot  in  the  centre  of  each  feather.  They  used  to....
  NIGHT  PARROT,  .....an  object  of  great  interest  among  bushmen  and
ornithologists..... spend  practically  all  the  time  at  the  bottom  of
the  cage,  and  he  never  saw  them  on  the  perch,  which  was  from  3
ft.  to  4  ft.  from  the  ground.

 How  the  Night  Parrot  Nests

These  birds  were  taken  from  a  nest  in  the  centre  of  a  bunch  of
porcupine.  The  nest  was  entered  through  a  tun  nel,  starting  low  down
 on  the  side  and  almost  under  the  bunch.  At  the  end  of  the  tunnel
there  was  an  en  larged  cavity,  in  which  the  birds  had  placed  small
sticks.  The  nest  was  found  by  6eeing  the  bird  flush  out  when  a  mob
 of  pack-horees  in  a  cattle  mustering  outfit  was  driven  over  a  patch
 of  porcupine  grass,  thereby  disturbing  the  bird.  Mr.  McDonald  told
me  that  he  had  never  seen  the  Night  Parrot  in  flight  unless  the
bird  was  disturbed,  and  that  only  by  contact  _wlth  tlie  tou«n.  He
had  never  seen  more  than  one  bird at  a  time.  When  flushed,  the  bird
 flies  but  20  to  40  yards,  drops  to  earth  very  suddenly,  and  then
runs  off  at  !  right  angles  to  its  line  of  flight.  I  learnt  that
Mr.  McDonald  had  seen  at  least  three  or  four  nests,  one  of which  he
 describes  as  being  in  a  samphire  bush.  This  bush  grew  plentifully
in  the  vicinity  of  the  dry  salt  lakes,  and  was  of  a  low  dense
structure.  The  nest  was  made,  by  form  ing  a  run-way  or  tunnel  into
the  cen  tre  of  the  bush,  where  a  fair  number  of  small  sticks  made
a  platform  be  tween  the  central  branches  of  the  bush.  In  no
instance  did  Mr.  McDonald  find  the  bird  had  nested  on  the  ground
under  the  bush,  but  said  that  during  the  day  time  the  bird  crouched
 in  a  'squat'  —  similar  to  that  of  a  hare— under  a  dense  bush,  and
 he  had  on  occasions  flushed  the  bird  from  this  position.  The  eggs
were  four  in  number,  and  white,  and  about  the  size  of  a  crested
pigeon's.

Sweet  Two-Note  Whistle  When  camped  at  waterholes,  Mr.  Mc  Donald  had
often  heard the  Night  Parrot  coming  to  water  in  the  evening,  and  he
was  emphatic  in  saying  that  it  was  always  between  8  p.m.  and  9
p.m.  The  birds  have  a  sweet,  low,  two-note  whistle,  uttered
frequently  during  their  flight  to  and  from  water,  and  apparently
several  birds  made  the'  trip  in  company.  Mr.  McDonald  had  never
heard  the  call  from  a  Night  Par  rot  during  the  day,  but  his  young
ones  used  to  answer  him  at  any  time  he  whistled  to,  them  during
the  day  or  night.  I  asked  Mr.  McDonald  how  he  could  account  for
the  disappearance  of  the Night  Parrot,  and  he  replied—  'If  you  tell
me  what  happened  to  much  of  our  former-day  bird  and  animal  life,  I
would  say  that  was  the  reason.  What,  for  instance,  has  caused  the
almost  total  disappearance  of  most  of  our  small  marsupials?'  He
consideredthat  the  domestic  cat,  gone  wild,  had  accounted  for  many
birds  and  animals,  but  they  were  not  responsible  for  all  the  damage
or  shortage.  He  mentioned  that  stocking  had  cut  up  the  country  which
 Night  Parrots  used  to  frequent,  and  drought  had  gone  on  with  the
job,  so  that  today  he  hardly  knew  the  coun  try  on  which,  in  years
gone  by,  he  had  spent  so  much  time  in  searching  for  cattle  and
horses.