birding-aus

Robins at Woodlands

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Robins at Woodlands
From: Russ <>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 11:24:54 +1000
I spent a couple of very enjoyable hours in the Back Paddock at Woodlands
yesterday. It was a good day for Robins:

Scarlet Robin  - at least 7 birds, with 3 males
Flame Robin   - one female
Red-capped   - 2 females in different locations
and no Eastern Yellow, which surprised me.

Every place I saw a Robin, there was a Grey Fantail close by - often in the
same tree or bush. I saw only a couple of Grey Fantails without an
accompanying Robin!

Other good woodland birds: Weebills everywhere, Striated, Brown and
Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Golden Whistler, flocks of Silvereye, even more
flocks of Brown-headed Honeyeater, lots of Spotted and Striated Pardalotes,
Superb Fairy-Wren around almost every bush, Grey Shrike-Thrush.

Other nice birds during the day were a pair of White-necked Heron beside
the Werribee Caltex on the Freeway, and about half a dozen Black Kites at
various places between Werribee and Geelong.

Russell Woodford
Ocean Grove