birding-aus

Night Parrot & John Young

Subject: Night Parrot & John Young
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:08:52 +1000 (EST)
Hello,
I would like to thank Greg Roberts for writing about the ?elephant in the room?.

Everybody in the Australian birding community has respect for John Young in
regards to his knowledge, his bushcraft and, as his latest sighting and
photography of the Night Parrot demonstrate, his tenacity. I can?t imagine
anyone not wanting to congratulate John for this significant discovery.

It is upsetting and irrational for some birding-aus members, however to use
John?s latest discovery as an opportunity to denigrate well intentioned and
reasoned critics of some of John Young?s prior behaviour and claims. This ?suck
eggs? [excuse the avian pun] attitude, demonstrated below, is not helpful.

?Congratulations to John Young Maybe a lot of his detractors will grovel and
eat humble pie now!?
?he copped a lot of unfair criticism - mostly from jealous people I suspect?
?instead of knocking his efforts (as a small group who had never met the man
unfairly did some years ago)?

That John Young is right now does not mean that he was always correct in the
past or that he will be in the future. And that of course stands for every
single person.

John Young and others should be judged not by simply their claims but by the
evidence that they produce.

Cheers as I begin to barricade myself,
Ken Cross