birding-aus

Night Parrot -where to from here?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Night Parrot -where to from here?
From: Scott Baker <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:56:50 +1000
I too would like to congratulate John on his extraordinary find. Have been a
number of sight records in the past but never previously backed up with high
definition photographic evidence. Must admit was extremely excited but slightly
devastated to see one of the last great birding mysteries had been solved -or
has it? As far as I'm concerned am none the wiser. We already knew these birds
have been living and breeding in the SW Queensland region in recent years and
based on the responsiveness to playback of their coastal cousins was a fair
assumption Night Parrot could also be located this way. I know I'm not the only
person to have wandered around likely looking spinifex habitat in the evening
playing Ground Parrot calls.Anyhow at the risk of being lumped with the "hordes
of salivating twitchers stomping over each others heads to tick a new species
off" -I would like to see this bird. At this stage all I have is further
confirmation that it still exists. Perhaps fair enough t
 he precise location has been suppressed but I do hope the audio recording is
made publicly available. This one piece of the puzzle could at least assist us
mere mortals to survey some of the vast inland areas this bird may inhabit and
perhaps locate further populations -information that could prove critical in
preservation of the species.I guess more will be revealed on Wednesday. Once
again - well done John Young.