birding-aus

Possible pelagic off Swansea (NSW) this Sunday?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Possible pelagic off Swansea (NSW) this Sunday?
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to put the trip report together for the Port Stephens
pelagic last Sunday but there is a post on Birdline about it and in short,
although we didn't produce a Blue Petrel, we did have Slender-billed and
Antarctic Prions, a Black-bellied Stormy and many albatross, including a few
Buller's. We had 19 spp. of seabird outside of the heads.

Anyway, an opportunity has presented itself to take a boat outside of Swansea
this Sunday. Over the years we have found the pelagic birds off Swansea to be
more akin to those that are recorded off Sydney and Wollongong so there is a
better chance of cold water specialties. The forecast is also looking
favourable.

I need to know ASAP if you're interested as the boat has had other parties
interested in a charter (for a fishing trip). Cost is about $100-120 per person
depending on numbers.

I don't recall seeing mention on Birding-aus, but there have been Fairy Prions
all up and down the east coast and even diving petrels seen from shore as far
north as Newcastle.

Apparently the Sydney trip isn't running in July and the Wollongong trip I
think is fully booked too, so this could be the only opportunity to get a boat
out to the shelf during this 'purple patch' of cold water birds. I also hope to
be running at least one off Port Stephens in addition to the Swansea one if I
can raise the numbers.

Contact me off list if you're interested.

Cheers
Mick