birding-aus

Waders, Skuas and Brown Honeyeater

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Waders, Skuas and Brown Honeyeater
From: Trevor Ford <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:22:43 +1000
G'day,

Having used the term "wader" for many years, I was inspired to use the term "shorebird" having been told that most folk believe that waders are something that you wear when sploshing about in fairly deep water. But I was then confronted by a corrupt environmental consultant who was attempting to undermine data that I had provided to try and save a "shorebird" roost. He said that the number of shorebird species present was far greater than I had quoted, a bizarre argument but he was trying to ridicule me personally. He had assumed, with devious intent, that shorebirds were birds that use the shoreline, and included herons & egrets, ibises, pelicans, cormorants, etc.

However, in the balance I agree with Jill that "shorebird" works from an educational point of view. And it's so much better than another offering that's not uncommon - "wader bird". Yeuk!

Anyway, now that we've established that "shorebird" might unfortunately be a necessary adoption of the American name, can someone tell me if "jaeger" has similar origins? Did someone have the bright idea that the perfectly good name "skua" should not be used for our commoner species because of confusion around the barbie? And that the American "jaeger" should be adopted instead? I see from the latest IOC list that they are now all /Stercorarius /and that the name Pomarine Skua has been reinstated.

BTW Has the distribution of Brown Honeyeater given in the latest Slater field guide been discussed on this forum? I had to explain to a very puzzled visitor recently that he had, indeed, been seeing them in coastal SEQ.

Cheers - Trevor Ford.