birding-aus

Waders or Shorebirds

To: <>
Subject: Waders or Shorebirds
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:22:03 +1000
I've also found that members of the public are confused by the term "wader".
I've not experienced anything as bizarre as being called a member of a
"Waiters' Study Group" but I encountered organisers of a motor car racing
event a few years ago who thought that a "wader survey" was a survey of
people walking or bathing in shallow water. They didn't understand why I was
interested in studying peoples' public bathing habits!  After that incident
I started using the term "shorebird", because at least it contains the term
"bird" within it.

Regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose