birding-aus

Frederick T H Smith

To: John Barkla <>,
Subject: Frederick T H Smith
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:33:13 +1000
Thank you John, for telling us of Fred Smith's death. I shall always remember him leading birding parties - often at a very fast walk - and how worthwhile it was to keep up with him. At Anglesea many years ago, behind the cliffs, where a Peregrine made repeated Stuka dives at us, and Fred hustled us on because we were close to her nest. Many many times at Werribee, including the time we saw Cox's Sandpiper (should have been Fred's Sandpiper!) at Ryan's Swamp. Finding him and his bike at Wilson's Reserve - a female Scarlet Robin appeared and he remarked that he'd never seen one there before, or at Banyule Swamp, again by bike... His helpfulness to beginners and others, and his immense knowledge so willingly shared - I hope he will never be forgotten. My sympathy to family and friends.

Anthea Fleming