birding-aus

Pinks Robins (formerly "Possible Tasmanian Morepork in Victoria")

To: "'Chris Corben'" <>, <>
Subject: Pinks Robins (formerly "Possible Tasmanian Morepork in Victoria")
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:47:10 +1000
G'day Chris,

Average differences with extensive overlap. Without presenting all of the
data, wings of adult males from HANZAB nom rodinogaster(Tas) from four data
sets combine, 64-71mm, ssp inexpectata(SE Aust) two data sets wing, 63-70mm
Would be extremely courageous to claim a bird based on those measurements.
I'm still not convinced about the migration theory as both populations are
known to drop altitude in winter. Just makes you think what a perfect
wintering place Bass Strait would be during periods of low sea level, with
Pink Robins in the dense Titree, Flame Robins and Orange-bellied Parrots out
in the open country, Tas birds dispersing north and Vic birds dispersing
south.

Cheers Jeff.