birding-aus

Fwd: Re: Ethics in Bird-Photography

To: "Tony Russel" <>, <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Ethics in Bird-Photography
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 11:12:32 +1000
I have a 'treasure' of a book by a reasonably well known naturalist from some decades back. It is a great example of what not to do with bird photography. A number of the birds are obviously dead, either recently shot (by the author?) or found dead or are mounted specimens. Of particular interest to me is the Black-necked Stork photo which shows a bird with a broken neck leaning up against a sapling eucalypt. The Ground Parrot appears to have a glass eye and a Crimson Rosella shown climbing up the trunk of a tree using its bill and claws has a broken tail. One photo of the author shows him crouched at a Brush Turkey mound, with rifle across his lap! Other photos are of young birds that couldn't get away.

With modern cameras it is unlikely that photographers/naturalist will need to resort to this sort of behaviour but it was an interesting part of our history.

I should also admit that I, often, take photos of road killed animals for research purposes but never try to pass them off as living individuals.

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide
http://www.gregclancyecologistguide.com

-----Original Message----- From: Tony Russel