birding-aus

Ethics in Bird-Photography

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Ethics in Bird-Photography
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:36:37 +1000
Recently a birding-friend asked me an interesting question regarding
bird-photography ethics, he found a picture in the National Geographic
magazine that showed an adult bird feeding a fledgling away from the nest
on a rather artificial-looking perch and wondered if the young bird had
been taken from the nest by a photographer to create a 'better-looking'
photograph.

e sent me a link to the photo but I'm not going to post it publicly, as it
could be legitimate and he doesn't want to unfairly accuse someone but he
would like to approach Nat Geo regarding the matter.

This is part of what he wrote:

***"I don't want unfairly publicly accuse someone. I may write directly to
National Geographic but I want to canvas the views of a few experts first.
Would you also be able to discreetly ask acquaintances you think may be
able to give an informed opinion or help provide a suitable response to
NatGeo? There are many other photos on the internet showing chicks which I
suspect were removed from their nests in the quest for a clearer shot. I've
heard of a number of cases of nest abandonment due to excessive and very
close approaches by photographers. Saw more than 10 photographers in Kaeng
Krachan (Thailand) crowding rather too closely around an Orange-bellied
Trogon on a nest. Although I don't know what the outcome was in that one.*
"

Would love to hear your opinion on the subject either on this forum or
indirectly to me and I will pass on any messages. I will also cross-post
this on the Orientalbirding mailing-list.

Tom