birding-aus

Some good news in Qld (at the moment!)

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: Some good news in Qld (at the moment!)
From: "Valentine, Peter" <>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 12:31:59 +0000
One critical factor perhaps not acknowledged in the media so far is the weak
commitment to protected areas in Queensland compared to the rest of Australia
(and the rest of the world), especially National Parks. Less than 5% of Qld has
been designated National Park, much less than in all other states and compared
with SA, Victoria, WA and Tasmania a pathetic commitment (all those states have
two or three or four times the percent under National Parks). The Australian
total is 12% and our target (under the Convention on Biodiversity) is 17% by
2020. Even under Labor Queensland was only targeting 7% by 2020 (no show of
getting that under the present Government). These protected areas are for the
principal purpose of biodiversity, including of course the birds to which we
are all committed. To argue that the needs of a few families of graziers come
ahead of the biodiversity  commitment is ludicrous. As noted already, graziers
have options; the Queensland Government could fund shi
 pping for agistment and importing hay. Surely the solution to the cattle
problem (misleadingly categorised as an animal welfare problem) can be found on
the other 95% of Queensland that is not National Park? Of course it can.

Peter Valentine

0427 634 136