birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 13 May 2013 07:38:07 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 12 May 2013.

Sat 11 May Broad-billed Flycatcher Karumba Point
Suveys of coastral strip close to main boat ramp and along vehicle track between airstrip and beach. Good weather conditions. Broad-billed Flycatcher (1) male bird in mangrove beyond airstrip. Colouring, bill shape and call most distinctive. Photo ID.
George and Teresa Baker

Thu 9 May Pink-eared Duck Awonga Waste Treatment Plant, Weipa
30+ (Moderator Note:- Uncommon in area)
David Milson

Tue 7 May Freckled Duck, Cotton Pygmy-Goose Blackbraes Resources Reserve, Emu Swamp dam,
Dam was fairly full with water, thousands of waterbirds present, numbers could only be estimated since we could only count about 1/2 of area with 60x scope. Freckled Duck (441) this number actually definite, but probably at least 500, more than 2/3 were immature with little spotting, did not see a single bird with red on bill. Likely to be even more birds as we could not count far reaches of shore, most birds were on logs or on shore asleep Cotton Pygmy-Goose (1000) conservative estimate.
Kath Shurcliff & Dave Houghton

Sun 5 May Black Falcon Deeragun Rubbish Tip
Second sighting in a week this time I had my camera. The dump also hosted around 1000 black kites in a number of loose flocks.
John Lowry

Sat 4 May Black-faced Monarch Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
Adult feeding recently fledged young which was begging for food, flapping wings. Normal breeding season in NE Queensland is given as November to mid January in HANZAB, but it also mentions breeding in March-April with no details of location. This bird must have laid eggs early April if the 23 days incubation and fledging period is correct in HANZAB. This is a very late breeding record.
Keith Fisher

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birds.