birding-aus

neonicotinoids impact on birds

To: "" <>
Subject: neonicotinoids impact on birds
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 11:54:07 +1000
Bob,

The problem is not with Bunnings, it is with our Governments. Bunnings is only
selling a duly registered pesticide. Whilesoever neonicotinoid pesticides are
registered for use in Australia Bunnings are entitled to sell them.

The amount of neonicotinoid pesticides that Bunnings sells is insignificant, in
comparison, to that sold by rural merchants and other pesticide suppliers to
the agricultural sector.

The respective State Governments are the ones who should be pressured over this
matter. They should withdraw the registration of neonicotinoids until they have
been shown to be safe, or new, less toxic formulations are produced.
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in a hurry. Look how long it took to
withdraw organochlorine pesticides, such as DDT and Dieldrin from sale in
Australia.

Carl Clifford