birding-aus

Budgies moving east

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Budgies moving east
From: <>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 04:57:14 +0000
Hi all,

Copied below is an email I sent previously, in response to Michael Woods'
email. ...Bludgies seem to be doing the same thing up the other end of the
continent too.

Hooroo,

Hi Michael,

Budgerigars are certainly pretty common well beyond their "normal" range at
present. There is quite a number of reports from coastal areas at Townsville at
present, usually mobs of 10-20. I saw 10 near the uni where I work two weeks
ago. I also saw a mob up in coastal NE Arnhemland late last year.

I returned from a work trip up into the Einasleigh area (central east N. Qld)
yesterday, and while this area is certainly a regular place to see budgies, I
saw lots more than usual this trip. Also a lot more red kangaroos than normal,
which usually means v. hard times to the south west of this area.

In my experience, this usually is, as you say, indicative of what's coming
(nice looking falcons especially).

Eric Vanderduys
Technical Officer
CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences
Phone: +61 7 4753 8529 | Fax: +61 7 4753 8600 | Mobile: 0437 330 961
 | www.csiro.au |
www.csiro.au/people/Eric.Vanderduys.html
Address: CSIRO, PMB PO, Aitkenvale, Qld 4814. Deliveries: CSIRO, ATSIP, Bld 145
James Cook Drive, James Cook University Douglas Campus, Townsville Qld 4814,
AUSTRALIA