birding-aus

Noisy miners mobbing one of their own

To: <>, <>
Subject: Noisy miners mobbing one of their own
From: <>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:00:57 +0000
Hi Gordon,

I think it's pretty common with noisy miners/yellow-throated miners. I've seen
them on two occasions be so intent on belting each other up that I could
approach and catch one or both of the birds. I've seen the same with peaceful
(yeah right) doves and a few other species. The most dramatic was also the most
hilarious - eight weebills flying up vertically with two of the individuals
talon locking (do weebills have talons?), and falling (I estimate about 20
metres) to the ground. Scary stuff. Recently I saw two spangled drongos so keen
on killing each other they didn't notice my approach. They were locked logether
on the ground for 15 minutes from when I first saw them. Plenty of blood. The
"loser" looked dead when they finally separated but eventually picked itself up
and flew off.

I suspect they do this for a variety of territorial reasons, and as others have
suggested, in communial-nesting species it might establish pecking order
between individuals.

Eric Vanderduys