birding-aus

RFI dawn chorus Sydney (lower north shore)

To: Chris Melrose <>, Peter Shute <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI dawn chorus Sydney (lower north shore)
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 19:56:32 +1000

Thanks everyone, nice suggestions, I will be trying all of them out! - I must
say I chuckled at the thought of eavesdropping on a zoo dawn chorus! However
for today I just wanted locals. I nearly went to Lane Cove NP, but got cold
feet as I wasn't really sure where I could park and still be close to bush but
away from a busy road without going too far from the car in the dark (not
something that bothered me in the mountains).
In the end I headed to Harold Reid reserve, Middle Cove which is only a five
minute drive, and there was pleasantly surprised - I just parked on North Arm
Rd and walked in a little, but the moment I got out of the car I could hear a
Powerful Owl at 5.25 am (both notes roughly same pitch), which was joined
shortly after by another (a lower pitch first note followed by a higher pitch
second note, I presume this was the female and the first caller was the male?).
Very nice surprise. They called for about 5 minutes, and then again the female
(?) called just a few times about 10 mins after sunrise. I should forward that
record to someone once I look who... Dawn chorus was reasonable (considering
it's April).
I then drove across the Roseville Bridge and spent a bit of time on the
Lyrebird Track along the Roseville River (Garrigal NP I think). Saw a male E.
Whipbird a couple of meters up a tree - he called in full view, then called
again and was answered by the female who was even higher up - nice to see both
birds call and respond several times. Several other birds including my first E.
Spinebill in months - birding batteries are recharged ...for a bit.
Many thanks again,
Arwen