birding-aus

Barn owl being mobbed by crows

To: "'Sean Brealey'" <>
Subject: Barn owl being mobbed by crows
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:17:53 +1100
My guess is that Corellas or Australian Wood Ducks also cause problems to
agriculture (or on golf courses). Maybe that explains a difference (the
authorities have no trouble culling........) Your theory is a likely and
widespread problem.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Sean Brealey
Sent: Tuesday, 2 April 2013 10:43 PM    To:     Cc:
Birding-Aus;

Hi All,

West coast highway this morning, five crows mobbing a Barn Owl pretty
aggressively in flight...found it quite disturbing really...a rarely seen
bird (ive only ever seen two)under attack and i reckon he would be lucky to
survive it...my theory is there are too many crows because of human left
overs and rubbish...the authorities have no trouble culling Corellas or
Australian wood ducks on golf courses...does anyone know if they do counts
on crows to determine their obvious overpopulation...they raid nests..rob
eggs and attack fledglings...I would really appreciate any comments or the
position of birds Australia if there is one...also, there is a southern
boobook that has been visiting my back lane recently...got his call nailed
and have had two visuals...

Sean Brealey