birding-aus

Canon SX50HS v Nikon P510 v Sony DSC-HX200v

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Canon SX50HS v Nikon P510 v Sony DSC-HX200v
From: Bob Dawson <>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 00:47:30 +1100
Hi All

I am buying a camera, mainly for birding and have settled on these three which
seem to fit the bill and are all around the same price. I have gone through the
B-A archives and read all the comments on them but I am still not sure what to
get and would like to ask some specific questions of those of you out there
with experience on these cameras and/or subjects. I hope some of you will send
me some comments that can help me decide. (Are there others I should consider?
I have also considered and discarded Panasonic DMC-FZ200, Olympus SP-820UZ,
Fuji HS50EXR)

In regards optical zoom and megapixels, the Canon has the highest zoom at 50x
and the lowest megapixels at 12.1, the Sony is the other way around. 30x zoom
and 18.2 megapixels. The Nikon is in between both with 42x and 16mp.

Is it better to go for the higher zoom (Canon), or higher megapixels (Sony), or
take the middle road with the Nikon? Am I right in thinking that the higher
megapixels will mean that I will get a much better quality of pic which I can
then blow up with less picture quality loss and so make up for the lower zoom?
But is this going to give a better result than the higher zoom in the first
place?

I have read that the Nikon can be difficult to focus at distance. Does anyone
know whether the Canon and/or the Sony are better at this or have problems also?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Cheers

Bob