birding-aus

Urban Black Falcons Melbourne/Pt Lonsdle

To: Dr John Moverley <>
Subject: Urban Black Falcons Melbourne/Pt Lonsdle
From: Russ <>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:36:15 +1100
Hi John

There certainly seem to be a few around at the moment. This year, I've seen
them a couple of times at or near the Avalon end of the Western Treatment
Plant, as well as along the Geelong Ring Road (one bird last week near the
Barwon River crossing).

It has been a great summer for birds of prey in the this part of Victoria.
I've seen both Spotted Harrier and Collared Sparrowhawk in multiple
locations, and heard plenty of reports from others. The Bellarine Peninsula
seems to have had a lot of BOP sightings - Black Falcon is a fantastic
addition. I'm not sure if they've been recorded there often.

A lot of us go years between Black Falcon sightings - you've seen two in
three days!

Regards

Russell Woodford
Geelong