birding-aus

Freckled Ducks, Hunting and the Bigger Picture

To: David Richardson <>
Subject: Freckled Ducks, Hunting and the Bigger Picture
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:47:23 +1100
Thanks Nick for providing some balance to the argument!  I certainly know
some conservation-minded shooters who are no doubt cringing at this news.
 In fact I think probably many shooters are reading these news articles and
thinking "you buggers are ruining it for the rest of us".  At least I hope
they are, because peer pressure is likely to be far more effective than
pester-power in achieving improvements in hunting behaviour.  I'm not
certain the bad behaviour of birders (which undoubtedly happens and is
likely more common than we'd like to think) is comparable to the senseless
slaughter of hundreds of protected birds though.  Perhaps egg collecting or
poaching would be a better counter-example, as no doubt there have been
people interested in birds and bird-watching who have strayed down that
path in the past.

I do know that polarising this issue puts us on the losing side, as there
are many, many more hunters than birders, and while this is a political
issue that means we can't win.  Perhaps considering Nick's idea of talking
to the hunting lobby as equals with a vested interest in conservation has
some merit?

Cheers,
Chris

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM, David Richardson <

--

Check out our site: http://www.bird-o.com
Follow us on Facebook (Bird-O) and Twitter