birding-aus

Northern Sydney Brush Turkey breeding

To: <>
Subject: Northern Sydney Brush Turkey breeding
From: Joshua Bergmark <>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:00:50 +1100

I didn't realise this wasn't already known! During 2012 at Warriewood Wetlands,
I observed 2 juvenile Brush Turkeys at the beginning of the year, and one
recently-hatched fluffball in mid-October (about Emerald Dove size, which is
what I thought it was when it ran across the path in front of me!). There is
also a reasonably well-established mound to the right of the path about 100m
past the end of Irrawong Rd. Last Saturday, my parents saw 2 Brush Turkeys in
Manly on Lakeside Crescent, and while I missed them, I would assume they were
young birds dispersing.
I also have a vague memory of a young Brush Turkey at Warriewood from 2011, but
I can't remember what time of year that was. I have also heard from friends
living in areas around Bilgola, Manly Dam, Frenches Forest, Seaforth, Kuringai
and St Ives that they often see the turkeys, and one friend has a mound just
down the road from their house (I've forgotten which friend this was though, so
I don't have a location...) They are clearly well established in North Sydney
now, and I doubt that it will be long before they're advancing on the Royal
National Park and Wollongong!
Cheers,Joshua Bergmark