birding-aus

Shooting in NSW NPs

To: "'Birding-Aus Aus'" <>
Subject: Shooting in NSW NPs
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:25:23 +1100
Following on from Kim's comment, I came across this magazine article on the
internet re hunting fatalities in NZ.  I can't comment on the accuracy of
the statistics cited in the article but, if true, they are quite startling:

Title of Article: They act before they think, almost pre-programmed to shoot
on reflex.
http://www.investigatemagazine.com/jul03hunt.htm

One quote from the article:

"On average, since 1979 there has been one accidental shooting of a hunter
by another hunter every nine months. Over the past two years, Inspector Joe
Green has studied every one of these cases. While his report is currently
being peer reviewed and is not scheduled for public release until mid-July,
he was willing to share some of his findings with Investigate.

"Though he likes to emphasize that the number of hunting fatalities remains
relatively low compared with other recreational pursuits, Green's research
still highlights some worrying aspects - in almost every case there has been
a failure to correctly identify the target shot."

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW