birding-aus

Blue-winged Parrots

Subject: Blue-winged Parrots
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:06:10 +1100
Hello all,

('m not sure whether they received responses).

NW Tasmania. Last time I was up there (I think it was around this time
of the year) I saw numerous blue-wings flying around in all the forest
and heath south from Marrawah on the coast. Getting ready to migrate
across the Strait perhaps.  Good chance to see them I would say if you
are prepared to do some driving.

Blue-wings in wet forest in Victoria. I've just read the book "Forest
Phoenix." by David Lindenmayer et al (2010). In that they talk about
their surprise at recording these parrots on their Mountain Ash study
sites for the first ime after the 2009 bushfires. Presumably the
forest were opened up by the fire and the parrots were able to take
advantage. Could the places where they have been seen be regrowth
after fire or be adjacent to areas that were burnt?

Blue-wings have been one of the special birds here at our property in
Molesworth. Every summer they return and I think they probably have
been nesting on the neighbour's property where there were many dead
stags. We used to see them daily during the warmer months. Very shy
though- 9 times out of 10 I only see or hear them flying overhead,
usually 1 or 2 birds. However since our recent fire (6th Feb) the
parrots seem to have moved on, hopefully to return later in the year.
Many of the old dead stags have been burnt out in the fire but I'll
have to have a closer look sometime in the next few months to see many
remain. Might be the time for nestboxes!

Cheers

Mick
--
Michael Todd,  PhD