birding-aus

Brown Songlarks and Fences

To: Ed Williams <>
Subject: Brown Songlarks and Fences
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:38:11 +1100
public access to natural environments is actually good.  The public, even
bushwalkers and "nature lovers" have a significant impact on natural
environments, even when they're "doing the right thing," and I think
managing that impact is very important.  No doubt there are times and
places where the restrictions are unnecessary, but I think there are also
many instances where closing off public access has a very positive outcome
for maintaining a site (and thus, birds).  I would definitely oppose
legislation giving everybody access to all public land within the realms of
safety, and I'd much rather have habitats healthily managed and my access
to the site restricted, than free public access at a degrading site.  Also
to answer the question about whether Australia is the most
rigidly bureaucratic society in the world; no.

Cheers,

Jeremy