birding-aus

poss/prob Spectacled Petrel off Albany, WA

To: Birding-Aus <>, "" <>
Subject: poss/prob Spectacled Petrel off Albany, WA
From: John Graff <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 08:56:07 +0800

Hi all Whilst organising dates for this year's Albany Pelagic weekend, the
skipper of the boat we use asked about a bird he had following the boat on
Wednesday. Description perfect for Spectacled Petrel (looked like a petrel,
brown with white band around it's face and neck). After seeing photos of
Spectacled, the skipper is certain that is the bird he saw. He's not a birder
so obviously this shouldn't be considered a confirmed record, but he does pay
attention to the birds and Spectacled Petrel should be fairly distinctive at
fairly close range (White-chinned with very extensive face markings I guess a
possibility) Is there any interest in an impromptu pelagic this Sunday (if
there is a boat available), or possibly the following weekend to see what else
is out there? Any responses ASAP obviously :) Otherwise, I just present this
for interest Cheers,John