birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 28 Jan 2013 01:32:06 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 27 Jan 2013.

Sun 27 Jan Magpie Goose Westgate Park, Port Melbourne
5 geese on a small island in the Fresh Water Lake
George Fotheringham

Brown Gerygone, Olive Whistler, Pilotbird, Cicadabird Tarago State Forest
What a terrific spot Tarago Rd is for birding. The species located this afteroon included Brown Gerygone (yellow marker 1), Pilotbird (calling loudly from the side of the road), Crescent HE, Satin Flycatcher, Rufous Fantail, Cicadabird (all at yellow marker 4), Olive Whistler and Blue winged parrot (between markers 8-9) and Wonga Pigeon (between markers 9-10). Birds were active with the cooler weather which allowed some great photo opportunities.
Bernie O'Keefe

Sat 26 Jan Baillon's Crake, Australian Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake, Red-kneed Dotterel Lake Hamilton
Baillon's Crake on beach Australian Spotted Crake every where there was cover from water ribbons Spotless Crake on sth side large island Red-kneed Dotterel (2) on beach
Samantha Greiner

Thu 24 Jan Cattle Egret Lake Connewarre Wildlife Reserve (Reedy Lake)
Cattle Egret (31) In paddock to West of the end of Whitehorse Rd (with cattle!). Flushed by another walker, flew overhead, at least 8 with orange flush (but none in full breeding plumage)
Angus Hartshorn

Thu 24 Jan Black Honeyeater Whipstick section, Greater Bendigo National Park
11 Black Honeyeaters(10 male, 1 female) in total located around the trees surrounding the dam on Skylark Rd.
Bernie O'Keefe

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren No 7 Pond, Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo
Two birds located. From the carpark, I walked up the path to the top of the pond. Birds were found about 50 metres to the left around the edge of the pond.
Bernie O'Keefe

Painted Snipe Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo
Thanks to recent reports, a single bird was located after a bit of work combing the shoreline. It was located on the west side of the reservoir, about 200 metres past the pine plantation in a small inlet. The bird is not visible from the track so walking the shoreline is advisable. Hard work but a great reward. It was relatively approachable and I spent 10-15 minutes taking pictures without it worrying too much.
Bernie O'Keefe

Freckled Duck Mill Park Lakes
At least 7 Freckled Ducks on the ponds. 2 Yellow-billed and 1 Royal Spoonbill feeding alongside. Also present were 4 Black-tailed Native-hen, 2 Blue-billed Ducks, 2 Australasian Shovelers, about 6 Latham's Snipes, 10 Australian Spotted Crakes, 2 Red-kneed Dotterels, 2 Great White Egrets and 2 Nankeen Night Herons.
Falk Wicker

Wed 23 Jan Grey Goshawk white morph Nicholson River Sarsfield East Gippsland
Our resident Willie Wagtails drew my attention to a white morph Grey Goshawk that had killed a small bird near our house. The GG flew to a large Blackwood wattle to eat its prey which gave me a chance to take a few photos through the thick foliage. We have seen the Grey Goshawk here on a number of occasions over the years, they have all been white morphs.
John Hutchison

Spotless Crake Banyule Flat
2 adults feeding and sometimes chasing each other at grotty pond, also an Australian Spotted Crake and a Buff-banded Rail, each visible in open at different times late morning. On Sunday 20th I saw at least one juvenile Spotless Crake (almost certainly 2 juveniles) here in early morning as well as an adult, the juvs young enough to indicate local breeding. The juvs kept below cover on 20th and did not show themselves today. (Photo of juv attached, can supply photo of adult if needed.)
Richard Loyn

Australian Painted Snipe Hospital Swamp, Lake Connewarre
One Painted Snipe (and four Latham's Snipe) flushed from bank with tall eucalypts just west of rough turning circle on Hospital Swamp Road. Drying wetland has hundreds of shorebirds, including 400 Banded Stilts, 100 Red-necked Avocets, 50 Red-kneed Dotterel, 42 Marsh Sandpipers. [Moderator's Note: Please be aware that this bank is on private property and permission should be obtained before entering this area.]
Guy Dutson

Grey Butcherbird Sunbury
Grey Butcherbird (1) This sole bird has been around the Station St, Jackson St, Harker St area now for a couple of weeks, including my backyard at 64 Stations St. I've never seen one in my area before; first heralded by its melodious warble. ( Moderators note: though common and widespread through many areas of Greater Melbourne, Grey Butcherbirds are quite scare in the outer north west with only a few records submitted to Eremaea around this area).
Lou Citroen

Tue 22 Jan Australian Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake Belmont Common Wildlife Reserve & Wetlands
Australian Spotted Crake (2) Spotless Crake (1) Up to 5 Spotted, and 2 Spotless Crakes seen on each visit this week. All observed from hide.
Russell Woodford

Australian Painted Snipe Crusoe Reservoir
On a walk with Ken around the reservoir we saw the Australian Painted Snipe on the shore of the SW arm. As per previous reports.
Malcolm Cousland

Spotted Harrier Swan Lake Phillip Island
While walking at the Eastern end of the lake a Spotted Harrier flew around me several times.Initially I mistook it for a Swamp Harrier, first recording for Eremaea Birds for Phillip Island, sorry about the photo, I got the shakes.
Derek Whitehead

Blue-faced Honeyeater Royal Park, Parkville
Blue-faced Honeyeater (1) Feeding in flowering trees, Royal Park Golf Course near the tram line.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Freckled Duck Private dam adjacent to Balbirooroo Wetland, Balnarring.
63 Freckled Duck present 20 January; 71 present 22 January.
Dennis Gosper

Mon 21 Jan Cicadabird Wombat Forest
At 0930 a group of us from Melb and Ballarat watched one, possibly two male Cicadabirds 1.5 km down McGees Rd, off the Spargo Blakefield Rd. The birds have been seen for about 4 days. A female has also been seen. GPS 37º 29' 18" S 144º 10' 26" E There is a pull-off on the left and a culvert under the road. We had to wait about 20 minutes before we heard the birds call and then saw them.
Jen Spry, Joy Tansey, Ian Ashton and a group from Ballarat area.

Brown Booby Western part of Port Phillip Bay
A male Brown Booby was observed in the company of Australian Gannets at Midday.
Maarten Hulzebosch

Lewin's Rail Duck Island
Three Lewin's Rail calling simultaneously from three separate locations. Unable to gain sighting in heavy cover.
Trevor Lumb

Great Knots, Red Knots, Grey Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones Mud Island
On the SW sandbars this morning were Great Knot(1), Red Knots(22) and 2 RKs with orange flags right leg, associating with Grey Plovers (33) and 5 Grey Plovers with orange flags right leg. Scurrying around with them were 2 Ruddy Turnstones. In a separate grouping close by Greenshanks (33) seemed unusually relaxed some even sitting down. Mixed Sharp-Tailed Sandpiper and Red-Necked Stint (455) on yet another close by sandspit completed a grand scene out in the bay.
Trevor Lumb

Sun 20 Jan Budgerigars Parwan (near Werribee)
A flock of 35 - 40 budgies were seen feeding on panic grass seed and the last of the wallaby grass on a private property near Werribee.
Lorraine Jolly per Deb Crosby

Magpie Goose and Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Magpie Goose (4) Conservation pond 35e. Pectoral Sandpiper (2) 1 Near gate 8 in 145 wa lagoon, another seen on coast side of 85wb lagoons. Also Cape Barren Goose (14) T section; Glossy Ibis (1) Seen on T section pond 5, weird behaviour seemed to be associating and following a group of 12 Purple Swamphen, feeding and behaviour similar. Brolga (4) possibly 6, seen 2 flying from t section pond 5 towards western lagoons, then we came across 2 adults and 2 juv near gate 3 near the Cape Barren Geese. Latham's Snipe (1) Possibly 2, one seen in borrow pits and Black Falcon (1) On fence post beach road.
Philip Peel

Sat 19 Jan Glossy Ibis Box Flat, near Boort
Glossy Ibis (1) Box Flat, on Billings Rd east. With Black-tailed Native Hens
Malcolm Cousland

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.