birding-aus

sex, not gender

To: <>
Subject: sex, not gender
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:21:49 +1000
"Cutting a sociolinguistic explanation short: as far as ornithology is concerned, birds have a sex, but no gender."

If Jonny had said 'as far as English based western ornithology is concerned,' I would not have thought to enter the discussion and still hesitated. Now that it has hotted up I'll add my two cents worth. Beyond or as an example of what Phillip said I want to tell you about cranes on Cape York Peninsula.

In the Wik languages there are two words used for cranes. One of these is just a name word and the other a contraction of 'red legs' (which is why my family did not accept that the Sarus arrived here recently). A bit like with us, the crane word could be used for both but the red legs word applied to Sarus. If pushing an informant on the difference I would be told that the red legs were males. This was definitely [the spell checker changed a misspelling of mine into 'defiantly' and it almost escaped my attention] a gender thing and not a sex thing. They would have seen and noted family groups of the "males." There are ascribed that gender because of their greater size; everyone knows that males are bigger.

Sex clearly does not equal gender. It is interesting the way people are so proscribed by social restrictions and norms. This is one of the things which makes ethnobiology so fascinating a subject.

Regards,
Alan