birding-aus

Lesser Black-backed Gull spp Baltic Gull in Broome

To: "" <>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull spp Baltic Gull in Broome
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:14:58 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

For those who have already booked their flights (not me): Following up on
Mike's comment regarding the ID of the bird, Martin Gottschling and I had a
look at the available pictures. Here our summary at this point:

Overall, looks like a bird of the Lesser Black-back complex and Kelp can be
ruled out.

Too pale and too stocky/heavy for fuscus fuscus.

Moult: Completely old primaries, most secondaries seem to be new – primaries
will be moulted next. Moult pattern fits Heuglin’s.

The relatively dark iris and the slightly drooping bill could speak for
taimyrensis.

So our conclusion as of this point would be a likely Larus heuglini taimyrensis
versus a possible Larus heuglini heuglini.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures after the weekend!

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW