birding-aus

Painted Honeyeater and Square-tailed Kite

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Painted Honeyeater and Square-tailed Kite
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:42:27 +1100
Hi all,

Yesterday, Sunday, we decided it was time for some bush birding so headed
for Clunes (Vic) where there are a number of areas of forestland and
tracks, and what a day it turned out to be.

Our goal was to find a Painted Honeyeater for the year list. After an hour
or so of pleasant wandering we finally heard one call and bolted in the
general direction. All was quiet for about 5 minutes, and then it called
again. Another dash and we found her feeding in thick, healthy mistletoe,
just as she should be. With nice sunshine, no wind and a co-operative bird
we stood, watched and took photos for about 15 minutes as she fed and
preened.

At lunchtime I mumbled “raptor” through a mouthful of sandwich and pointed.
It was a Square-tailed kite and it circled us for about 5 minutes while we
oohed and aared at it. The rest of my lunch just seemed to taste so much
better after that; perhaps because I was eating it through a huge smile.

Then after lunch we crossed the road into an adjoining bush block and about
1 km in we stopped in an area where there was some nice brush growing and a
dam just inside a fence. I wandered off the road and “squeeked” to see what
would pop its head up. Almost immediately I was staring at a Speckled
Warbler. We ended up seeing 3 or 4. Bliss.

Then, to top the day off, we were driving back to Ballarat and a Spotted
Harrier landed in a paddock beside the road. Of course it took off when we
stopped but just flew and glided slowly across the paddock giving us
perfect views. Sigh.

If I add in the flock of Little Corella on the Ballarat Rd nature strip at
Caroline Springs (it hardly rates as bushland but .....) on the way home I
saw 53 species for the day. Some days are just golden.

Cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/