birding-aus

Shooting in NSW NPs

To: Dave Torr <>, Graeme Chapman <>
Subject: Shooting in NSW NPs
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:27:44 +0930
Having a licence doesn't mean all hunters will behave properly, and I speak
from experience.

My first husband had been a gamekeeper (for a Lord Figg in Buckinghamshire),
and behaved impeccably when it came to handling firearms and shooting.  I've
only ever encountered four others who behaved as well, a neighbour, two
semi-traditional relatives, and one of the men I used to shoot buffalo with
(for a pet meat firm).

The other buffalo shooters liked to go out drinking  and on at least one
occasion shot up the local pub.  Once one of them came back drunk and
picking up his rifle told us he was going to kill himself.  Nobody was game
to stop him as he was armed and really upset.  I won't go on but I'm sure
readers will get the picture.

All these men were licensed shooters.

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street,
Bakewell, NT 0832
043 8650 835

PhD candidate, SCU
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia
Nominated for the Condé Nast international ecotourism award, 2004 by the
renowned American website, Earthfoot.
Wildlife Adviser, BBC¹s ?Deadly 60¹

Birds of Australia's Top End and Quiet Snake Dreaming available on
amazon.com
A second edition of Fauna of Australia¹s Top End used by the University of
NSW as a text for 12 years is now under preparation.

'It gave me huge insight into the lives' of Aboriginal Australians¹,
 Jonathon Franzen, American author, birder, conservationist (August, 2011)
on Quiet Snake Dreaming.

The best guide in Darwin is Denise Goodfellow.  Bo Beolens, the Fat Birder.

www.denisegoodfellow.com.au