birding-aus

Boobooks in Australia - and Lesser Sooty Owl

To: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Subject: Boobooks in Australia - and Lesser Sooty Owl
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 11:30:34 +1100
G'day Lloyd et al

The big problem with DNA is that each researcher is almost always looking at way under one percent of the birds DNA. I am sure that when we look at the birds anatomy, physiology, morphology and behaviour (including calls) we are looking at way more than one percent of its DNA. Add to that the proposition that we do not yet understand how much of the DNA works - particularly in combination with other genes and switch-genes. I would place much more confidence in the non-DNA at this stage of our learning process.

Cheers

Mike
Prof Michael Tarburton