birding-aus

Mystery bird - Yellow-spotted honeyeater???

To: Vivien Rolland <>
Subject: Mystery bird - Yellow-spotted honeyeater???
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:02:15 +1100
Of all the threads I remember from recent times, I think this has been
the most constructive and useful.

My vote (not that I'm a calls expert) is for Eastern Yellow Robin.
For me, this call fits the description of "peaceful", being calm and
having less of an attack, as against similar calls (such as the
Eastern Spinebill) which seem a little quicker and more irregular,
making it sound maniacal or panicked. The EYR has a long, regular
series of calls, which can go on for ages, much longer than the Sacred
Kingfisher, which comes in fits of about five. The EYR is a relatively
quiet call, but can sound loud if the bird is calling from a hidden
perch nearby.

I'm also not certain that the EYR has a different first note in the
series.  I'd certainly think of a White-Throated Treecreeper for a
different first note followed by a long series of beeps, but you
wouldn't get a WTTC there, I think.

Many thanks to Vivien and all the contributors for the great discussion.

Bill