birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 17 Dec 2012 01:31:56 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 16 Dec 2012.

Sun 16 Dec Buff-breasted Sandpiper Price Saltfields
A quick twitch to Price to see this bird after Dave and Colin advised of location. Observed on the track in front of car before flying to nearby samphire feeding. Unable to get close for photos but poor photos attached.
Kay Parkin

Buff-breasted Sandpiper Price Saltfields
Colin Rogers located a single Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Price Saltfields on Saturday 15/12. Relocated again and photographed well this morning. The bird was actually seen and photographed displaying to nearby Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
Colin Rogers per David Harper

Fri 14 Dec Fork-tailed Swift, Striated Grasswren, Black-eared Miner, Scarlet-chested Parrot Gluepot Reserve
100+ Fork-tailed Swifts at Gluepot between 8-10am, smaller numbers all day, and a further 200+ near the pig sheds at Taylorville around 4pm. A pair of Striated Grasswrens, and 2 flocks of Black-eared Miners. Two male Scarlet-chested Parrots: an adult and an immature (almost adult plumage).
Peter Waanders

Black Falcon Freeling Sewage Ponds
Black Falcon (1) Single Falcon feeding on an unidentifed bird on roadside post, right near the ponds. Flew off to a further post when I stopped to try to get a photo! The prey item was about the size of a quail but I couldn't confirm what it was! First Black Falcon I have seen in this area for the season.
Chris Steeles

Wed 12 Dec Fork-tailed Swift Pengilly Scrub, Roseworthy (Bush Heritage Block)
Fork-tailed Swift (6) First sighting of this species in three years for me! Were hawking above me nearly the whole time I was there! Many average photos taken!
Chris Steeles

Mon 3 Dec Barking Owl Waikerie Township
Barking Owl (2) (MOD NOTE: Possible) Heard during the early hours of the morning of the 3rd Dec. Two birds duetting for over 20 minutes, with the familiar two note call and response (wuf wuf - wuf wuf) where the response is higher in pitch than the initial two wufs. This is a call known well from multiple visits to the Top End. We are aware that this is outside the reported range for this species and that there are few records from SA. However, we are very confident of the identification. (Moderators note: further searches over subsequent days have been unsuccessful. This is well outside its usual range).
Kim and Geoff Larmour

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.